We are a small company that provides proofreading, copy editing and other editorial services for business and academic clients. We are looking to recruit someone with professional proofreading and/or copy editing experience who is looking for a full-time role in the industry and is excited by the challenge of joining a small and growing business. Candidates without professional experience are expected to have strong evidence of interest in proofreading and/or copy editing.
This is a permanent full-time role, based in our office in Tyseley, Birmingham, 3-4 minutes’ walk from the train station.
The annual salary is £18,000-£20,000, depending on experience, plus a bonus and 5% Employer Pension Contribution.
The role of “Editor” includes the following responsibilities:
- Proofread and copy edit clients’ content and transcripts quickly and accurately, which accounts for more than 80% of the average working day
- Liaise with in-house staff, freelance editors, and clients to ensure that deadlines are met
- Check the quality of work from freelance editors and ensure its compliance with in-house standards and client requirements
- Help with managing the assignment of work to freelance editors
- Any other relevant duties
Please note that this role does not include the writing of copy. When describing your relevant experience, please focus on proofreading and copy editing, as writing ability does not count as evidence of editing skill.
The successful candidate will be given training, but the following skills and experience are prerequisites:
- Evidence of substantial professional proofreading and/or copy editing experience. Please note that editing friends’ or your own works does not count as “professional” experience. Candidates without professional experience will be considered only if they have strong evidence of interest in proofreading and/or copy editing.
- Proven ability to infer meaning from context and justify editorial decisions
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Self-motivation and ability to work without supervision
- Ability to respond to non-routine circumstances
- A high level of computer literacy – understand common software tools (e.g. Microsoft Office) and gain new software skills quickly
The following will be beneficial to your application, but they are not essential:
- Proofreading and/or copy editing qualifications from a recognised training centre, such as the PTC or SfEP, would be a major advantage
- A recognised TEFL qualification such as CELTA or Trinity
- Testimonials from professional clients for your proofreading and/or copy editing work
Please email a covering letter and your CV to email@example.com. Your covering letter is crucial, as it will decide whether we read your CV or not. You must include in it three concise bullet points detailing the following:
- Your professional proofreading and/or copy editing experience or clear evidence of interest in such work
Any relevant qualifications you possess.
- Any relevant qualifications you possess.
- When you would be available to take up this role.
If the covering letter does not include any of this information, the application will not be considered.
The final date for application is 1/May/2019, but the position will be filled as soon as the right candidate is identified.