Every piece of work should be copy edited at some point, prior to being proofread. Our copy editing includes all aspects of our proofreading service, supplemented by further editing of the language and the style and structure of the writing:
- Full proofreading
- Spelling: Spell checkers don’t catch everything! We ensure there are no spelling mistakes. We also apply British or American English, as requested, throughout.
- Punctuation: Issues here can completely alter the meaning of the text, so getting this right is very important to make your text clear and accurate, and to allow it to flow properly.
- Grammar: As with spelling, it takes very few errors to undermine the quality of your writing. We make sure there are none, so that your writing is accurate and easy to read.
- Consistency in text and styles: A lack of consistency makes the work appear confused or poorly compiled. We check that your text is consistent with acronyms, abbreviations, conventions, italics, styles, fonts and layout.
- Sentence construction: Your sentences are the fundamental building blocks of your argument. We make sure they are clear, concise and say exactly what you want them to.
- Word and phrase choice: Using the correct language is vital for ensuring clarity of meaning and for giving your text the right tone for your purpose. We offer more suitable alternatives to help you achieve this.
- Resolving ambiguity: To guarantee that your full meaning comes across (and there are no unfortunate connotations you didn’t notice), we flag ambiguous phrases and suggest ways to clarify them.
- Structure and logic: We make sure there is no repetitive or redundant material that could detract from the quality of your writing or the clarity of your argument.
- Relevance and clarity: We make sure there is no repetitive or redundant material that could detract from the quality of your writing or the clarity of your argument.
- Terminology: We confirm that your use of terminology is consistent and follows the required standards and conventions.
- Referencing: We check that references are accurate and properly laid out in the text, and that tables and figures are suitably labelled and cross-referenced.
- Bibliography: We correct all spelling mistakes in the bibliography.*
* Copy editing does not include correcting the formatting style of the bibliography (i.e. APA…etc) or checking the accuracy of the information in each entry, such the publication year…etc. We provide this as an additional separate servcie.