We are a small company that provides proofreading, copy editing and other editorial services for business and academic clients. The main type of content we edit is IT-related (programming books), although no knowledge of IT is required.
We are looking to recruit someone who is passionate about the English language and editing and is interested in a full-time role in the industry. While professional proofreading and/or copy editing experience is not necessary, applicants are expected to present evidence of strong interest in proofreading and/or copy editing. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete assessments as tests of their current baseline editing skills.
This is a permanent full-time role that would suit someone who is excited by the challenge of joining a small and growing business. We will consider candidates who prefer to work remotely or in our office in Tyseley, Birmingham, 3-4 minutes’ walk from the train station. We provide reasonable flexibility of working hours.
The annual salary is £22,000 plus a bonus and 5% Employer Pension Contribution.
The role of Editor includes the following responsibilities:
- Proofread and copy edit clients’ content quickly and accurately, which accounts for around 95% of the working day.
- Liaise with in-house staff, freelance editors and clients to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Check the quality of work from freelance editors and ensure its compliance with in-house standards and client requirements.
- Any other relevant duties
This role does not include the writing of copy. When describing any relevant experience you may have, please focus on proofreading and copy editing, as writing ability does not count as evidence of editing skill.
The successful candidate will be given training, but the following skills and experience are prerequisites:
- Strong evidence of interest in proofreading and/or copy editing.
- Proven ability to infer meaning from context and justify editorial decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to maintain concentration and focus for a long time.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to respond to non-routine circumstances.
Please email a covering letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your covering letter is crucial, as it will decide whether we read your CV or not. You must include in it three concise bullet points detailing the following:
- Clear evidence of strong interest in proofreading and/or copy editing.
- Any relevant experience you possess.
- Any relevant qualifications you possess.
- Your preference to work in the office or remotely.
- When you would be able to take up this role.
If the covering letter does not include any of this information, the application will not be considered.
The position will be filled as soon as the right candidate is identified.